Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Magic tricks and the art of persuasion

Some people take the time to watch TV. Others take the time to share their vision. I try to do both. There are some excellent running magician on television in those days. And their magic reminds me of how I started to learn the art of persuasion.

When I was in school naturopathic doctor, a friend and I had the opportunity to work with a mentor, who was looking for what will work for a new frontier of the Mind / Body Medicine. As the impact of what he taught us that such aprofound impact on our practice, we felt a responsibility to share what we learned with our peers.

We offered ten weeks experiential workshop on the relationship between language, thought and behavior in dealing with patients. Although I did not then know that the first workshop of what is in my language and career training.

Our students called "The Magic Shop." We called it "The magical art of communication Workshop '. But whateversomeone called him, took him. He opened his eyes, ears and minds to the possibility that helping people change from within.

It's really not much cost to attend the first seminar, more or less like my Insider's Guide Playbook now costs. But we had an unusual entrance requirement. If someone wants to attend the workshop, he or she demonstrates the commitment of learning and the implementation of a magic trick for us. That was long before I learned the words "Get a deposit." My thoughtsthe moment is that anyone willing to learn a magic trick, would take the class are sufficiently committed, that a good student. I had no interest in working with people who had no real interest. This is still true to this day.

Because we asked for a magic trick from our future students, we need it from us. Thus, in preparing the first grade, I learned some of my magic tricks and practiced until I could in order to perform the miracle of an audience, or at least, with apediatric patients and parents of the child. And on the street, I learned a few things about wizards and magic tricks.

I learned that magicians, as in makeup. And just enjoy succession, even though they told me they had the experience of jealousy when someone comes with a spectacular and hard to understand that illusion. Magician competent to understand that a magic trick is to non-magicians, for their peers, it seems logical and technical(technical!)

Wizards also understand that the trick will only appear for non-magical wizard, if it works! And working for a trick, there are two conditions. First, the magician has to do the trick much makeup, and secondly, the public just can not know how the trick is done. Ergo sum, MAGIC! Magicians learn to work hard to do a trick so that you can not see how it is done. And they never say how the trick is not done magician.

I see the art ofPersuasion, in fact all the arts of transformation, like almost metaphorically with magic. The practice of art is something like a series of tricks learning and communication. And if once, as has been done, it loses a bit 'of its magic for you will be convinced a little' more technical and logical. But from that point, when you practice the art, you should observe them.

I think it's everywhere, what is lost, something else gained. Even though I lost some of the miracles, learningTrick, I have a deep joy and satisfaction in the interaction, less artificial and more connected won.

You know that this kind of interaction I mean, right? Upward, Messing, honest, genuine communication which are not. The way in which people are curious about each other in the most profound of their differences, because it is so interesting to know, things like that.

I wonder if you can imagine what you can do in a world of good to understand where peoplebasic tricks of conviction and have fun with them, and watch each other use and perfect the art. Where people can engage each other in token of respect and genuine interest. I'm curious to know if there is to you, so well that it could even more surprising that only magic tricks!

Tom Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment